Why Garden?

I chose to name this SherriLee's Garden not only because I love to garden, but I hope to keep growing and changing as a person. I want to learn new things, go new places and always make myself a better person. I also want to someday have a place where I can grow as many things as my heart desires.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Eggs!

I haven't been checking for eggs since they girls stopped laying around October.  Much to my surprise on Saturday, I discovered 6 eggs in by the chickens, and some broken shells.  One of the 6 eggs was frozen solid, and cracked so I'm pretty sure that's what happened to the broken ones in the 'coop.'  I had 2 eggs on Sunday, 1 yesterday and 2 more today...  I think things should keep going at this rate!  I have 5 chickens total, and I'm almost positive that 3 of them are roosters... which leaves me with 2 hens.  Both of the hens seem to be good layers so far, so I'll survive until I can get some more ladies.   I'm definite on 2 of the roosters, and the third looks like a rooster, but has no spurs...yet.  None of them have ever crowed, not a cock-a-doodle-doo anywhere!  

2 comments:

  1. Hi apron swap sister!! Just wanted to share a secret for getting eggs year round, give your hens warm water in cold months and a heat lamp if needed and they will keep you in eggs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I have plans of giving them a heated coop, my hubby is going to work on building one this summer. This past winter all they had were a couple plastic dog houses, so they weren't big enough for a heat lamp. I did give them warm water, but since it's not in a 'warm' place it didn't stay that way for long! I have high hopes for the new chicken coop, and for the chickies that I'll be getting in March!

    ReplyDelete